A Newtek Minute with David Werth and Ron Gallagher

It’s always interesting to see how our customers landed in the fields they’re in. This month, we got to sneak a peek into David Werth (IDEAS Design, Inc.) and Ron Gallagher’s (ROAT.com) businesses. Both David and Ron have a wide breadth of knowledge to share that can only be delivered by truly seasoned pros. Feel free to leave comments below if you have any questions for either of them. Thanks for taking a minute to answer our questions, guys!

Davegtg

Name: David Werth
Company Name: IDEAS Design, Inc.
Years in Business: 11

Newtek Technology Services: You’re networking at a casual gathering when a new acquaintance asks you to explain what you do for a living. Go:
Dave Werth: I own an internet development and branding company that specializes in high quality design coupled with highly technical programming for advanced application development.

NTS: What inspired you to pursue a career in your field?
DW: It just sorta grew out of what I was doing with design already in print. The internet seemed like a great opportunity to expand on what I knew and it certainly, at the time (and still now sometimes) had a serious lack of quality design and user interface consideration. It was a programmer’s tool back then, and I saw the need to make it look and function a lot cooler.

IDEASDesigngtg

NTS: What’s the biggest lesson you’ve learned in business that’s worth passing on to others?
DW: I think I’ve learned all of the clichés; don’t do business with family, or don’t work with a girlfriend, etc. But I’d have to say the most important two that I can share would be to know when to cut a client lose, and never get hung up on doing something cheap for a promise of future work.

NTS: Can you provide one no-fail tip in establishing client/customer loyalty?
DW: Genuinely care about what they are trying to accomplish and communicate that to them. The more communication you have the better your relationship typically is. (aside from those deadbeat clients who suck the life out of you, in which case, you should be cutting them loose anyway)

NTS: How long have you hosted with Newtek/CrystalTech?
DW: About 3 years now, I think.

NTS: Why did you select us and why have you stayed?
DW: I selected CT because of a few things. First and most importantly, I didn’t want to manage servers or server technicians any more.  It was simply eating away all my profits and my time. I wanted flexible plan options, knowledgeable, fast and friendly technicians, and an infrastructure that was top notch. And I wanted it all at a price that allowed me to make a profit. I stay because I get all that.

RonROATgtg

Name: Ron Gallagher
Company Name: ROAT.com
Years in Business: 6 years in business
www.ROAT.com

Newtek Technology Services: You’re networking at a casual gathering when a new acquaintance asks you to explain what you do for a living. Go:
Ron Gallagher: I own and operate ROAT.com… a web-based development company. I think of myself as a “terrible employee” so it’s best if I am self-employed!

NTS: What inspired you to pursue a career in your field?
RG: I didn’t start out in the website field… I went from being a NREMT-Paramedic to being an Airline Transport Pilot/Flight Instructor and ended up in the web-based development field. During this whole time I was learning and working with computers, writing code, and playing with graphic design. Great jobs and many experiences somehow all worked together and led me into what I do now.

ROATgtg

NTS: What’s the biggest lesson you’ve learned in business that’s worth passing on to others?
RG: Good planning, education, situational awareness, troubleshooting, commitment, integrity, honesty, organization skills… doesn’t matter what line of work you do… without these things I would not have a business.

NTS: Can you provide one no-fail tip in establishing client/customer loyalty?
RG: Listen patiently to the client’s concern or issue before trying to solve it… not my strongest trait, for sure, but I work on this every day.

NTS: How long have you hosted with Newtek/CrystalTech?
RG: Over 5 years

NTS: Why did you select us and why have you stayed?
RG: I was initially referred to you by a friend when I was looking at starting the hosting side of our business, and after reviewing your services and comparing to a few competitors I tried a few sites with CrystalTech. Then, moved a few more over every few months. After a few calls to your Technical Support team I knew there was no way I could provide hosting services and support at this level without partnering with a company like CrystalTech.

VN:F [1.9.1_1087]
Rating: +4 (from 4 votes)
Share So Others Can Enjoy:
  • Print
  • Digg
  • del.icio.us
  • Facebook
  • FriendFeed
  • LinkedIn
  • MySpace
  • StumbleUpon
  • Technorati